Please review the eligibility criteria for participation in Summer Seminars and Institutes at School Teacher Eligibility Criteria, and the NEH’s Application Information and Instructions before proceeding with our online application.
We welcome teachers from grades 4-12 to apply, including full-time education graduate students, and eligible school administrators. Your application materials must cogently address your commitment to participating fully in the two-week institute, your intellectual interest in the subject matter, skills or experiences that will contribute to making the institute a success, and how you envision your participation will enhance your teaching. Applications should also include an existing lesson plan or unit idea that the applicant would like to work on during the institute that focuses on gender, race, and/or equity in American history.
How to Apply
- Complete the NEH cover sheet here. Your application will be considered incomplete if you do not fill this out, submit automatically to the NEH, and upload a PDF for us. Please follow the prompts, and before you hit “submit” be sure to save as a PDF or print a copy to scan and save.
- Fill out the application form online here, and follow directions to upload all the accompanying materials:
- Write us an essay—no more than two double-spaced pages—and tell us: why you are applying; your relevant personal and academic information; why you are equipped to do the work of the institute and to make a contribution to a learning community; what you want to accomplish by participating; and how it relates to the subjects you teach.
- Share a lesson plan you’d like to workshop during your time at the Institute. Lesson plans should not exceed 3 pages, and should relate to how you are currently teaching about race, gender, and/or equity. If applicable, please include how you connect these topics to contemporary current events that have an impact on your students and/or your community.
- Provide the names and emails of 2 professional references. Your references do not need to submit anything. We will contact references as needed to complete our acceptance decisions during the month of March.
To be considered, materials must be received by March 1st, 2018. If you cannot submit through the online form system, please attach all components in an email to email@example.com. Do not send any printed materials to the NEH. Successful applicants will be notified of their selection on March 28, 2018.
□ Application form (Click here to access the form)
□ PDF of your completed NEH cover sheet (in addition to the online submission through NEH’s website)
□ PDF of your resume, personal essay (2 pages max), & lesson plan (3 pages max)
A selection committee will read and evaluate all properly completed applications in order to select the institute’s summer scholars and to identify a number of alternates. When choices must be made among equally qualified candidates, several additional factors are considered. Preference will be given to applicants who have not previously participated in an NEH Summer Seminar, Institute, or Landmarks Workshop, or who significantly contribute to the diversity of the seminar or institute.